Friday, July 11, 2008

Gift Cards

Everyone likes to receive a gift card to their favorite restaurant. But most people do not seem to understand the basic rules and ethics behind leaving a proper tip while using a gift card.

Okay here is a simple scenario-

Okay lets just say a family is sat at one of your tables. They order appetizers, alcohol, steaks and finish off with dessert for a grand total of 100 dollars. They had great service and the food was good. So you should be expecting at least a tip of 15-20 dollars right? No, because Joe schmo used 75 dollars worth in gift cards and gives you 30 dollars and says, "keep the change." Yeah thanks, asshole you just got 75 dollars worth off free food and you cant even leave a 15 dollar tip. Ya GTFO asshole. The tip should still be based off the total amount of the bill, not just the amount that you had to pay out of pocket. The server still had to pay tip share off total amount of the the bill. Well i guess I am done ranting about that.


Sometimes I laugh at people that hand me gift cards, because they don't even know how to use them. This actually happened to me the other day. . .

I get sat with a biker/hillbilly type couple on a Friday night. So I greet the table as usual but before I can even introduce my self the biker guy hands me a 25 dollar gift card and tells me to double check to make sure there is money on it. so I check the balance. sure enough..like the card says $25.o0. They split a small order of prime rib, and ravage through like 5 loafs of bread. the total comes to right about $20. Now I still have not charged them for soft drinks, which are like $2.50 a piece. I Think to my self, if i charge them for the soft drinks, I am totally not got getting a tip because it was obvious they did not want spend any more than whats on the gift card. So I don't charge them for soft drinks, after all they where pretty nice. So I charge gift card for the 20 dollars or whatever, leaving about a 5 dollar balance on the gift card. So here comes the fun part of trying to explain the simple task of signing and totaling the gift card receipt.

Me: "Here is your receipt, you have a 5 dollar balance on your card . Just fill in the total and sign the bottom."

Customer: "Huh? what you talking bout, I don't know nothing bout this stuff, uh what are we supposed to do?

Me: "Its just like a credit card, you can leave a tip on the gift card if you like just subtract the tip from the remain balance of the 5 dollars and just sign the bottom.

Customer: "Wha? we don't understand this Fancy stuff, here you do it."

Me: "umm..sure if you want me to. . ."

They just kinda got up and left, leaving the gift card. Well its five dollars more than I had before.

No comments: